mercoledì 25 giugno 2008

Wine Tasting in Italy?

Giugno 25, 2008
America: 3:23 AM
Italy: 12:23 PM
Known Bug-bites: 9

Picturebook: Week 1

I had to evaluate the situation before giving my automated response.

Yes, I don't drink because of my religion. I think many people adulterate the idea of religious abstinence with connotations of blind faith or an aversion to having fun. My reasons stem from the Bible talking about the importance of a sober mind - not being drunk as a way of walking in wisdom - and a obedience to law.

Christ says "If you love me, you'll keep my commands." It's a pretty easy concept.

I'm 22 now, so it's way legal (assuming there's a spectrum of legality) for me to drink. But is that alone sufficient motivation for what's at stake?

God's been cool enough to put the want for alcohol pretty low on my biggest temptations list, so it's easy for me to ignore it. On an ordinary day, and even at most parties, it just isn't something that crosses my mind. That, of course, is nothing short of God's grace to me, because I know for a lot of people it's not the same way.

I have, though, always been fascinated with wine culture, how so many people make such a big deal about this stuff, and all this talk about wine's ability to make food taste even better.

That's an incentive.

On the other hand, there's the risk of losing sobriety, and in that way sinning. Any ability for alcohol's inebriating qualities to loosen up or enhance bonding is really no concern of mine. There's no real need for that in my mind. Ten points if you caught the pun.

That's not an incentive.

I have the utmost gratitude to anyone who sees me as any kind of role model, because that's the kind of "good pressure" that spurs me on to try to be more like Christ, that inspires me to meet their expectations. Shout-out to whoever came up with that inspiration cycle concept Mikesong is spreading, because it's pretty true to life. Like I said I'm 22 now, and more than the fact that it's legal for me, I think I'm finally in a place where I can make decisions about alcohol that still keep a good testimony to God, and my friends and family.

So, yeah, I'll taste some wine. This will be my first time having alcohol since my mom slipped her 2 year old son a bit of margarita to get him to shut up.

Plus, having wine in Tuscany is one heck of a debut.


(Pardon the rotation)

Why does wine taste spicy.

6 commenti:

lody_dody ha detto...

wow. im reeeeeeally glad you posted a video. i find it entertaining how it looks almost painful for you to drink it but...as always...you TRY to play it cool. welp, good effort. =]

Caleb B ha detto...

woohoo praise God you saw the light!! you saw the light...just kidding. Well did you like it? I'm glad that you are learning discernment and growing in your maturity regarding different things about life and still having integrity. Enjoy Christ in all things, even when you drink.
oh ya, this is Geneyem.

Caleb B ha detto...

part two of my comment...

you need to drink wine with my husband, he'll make sure the wine doesn't taste like rubbing alcohol!!!

Franko ha detto...

the uno group was hoping that this trip that takes you out of America can help you grow, and i guess you have already. its not about the idea of drinking wine, but is your reasoning of why you are now ok drinking makes me see that you have mature a bit=) of course if you get drunk....then, um, it would not be ok... cheers

SuJ ha detto...

ooooh that sounds fun buddy. must be having a blast there

Rubyellen ha detto...

wow ian... you're really grown up now... praise God!

We like spicy wine... spicy and dry. Bring some home.